Volunteering at FLL

Date: 23.11.13
Time: 7:00
Location: Greenwich Academy, Greenwich CT

FLL game board
Today I volunteered as an MC at an FLL tournament at my old school, Greenwich Academy.  My old coach was hosting the event and so since it was my first day of Thanksgiving break and I would be free all day, I decided to help out.  It was so fun to be back involved in FIRST since I haven't been to a competition since 8th grade.

It was a long day, starting at 7am and ending around 6pm.  Tons of teams came from all over Connecticut and New York, including four teams from Greenwich Academy and my brother's team.

After wrangling teams all day and making sure competitions were finished on schedule, I got the opportunity to sit in on the judging.  It was so interesting being on both sides of this competition now.  I got to hear from official FLL judges that worked for FIRST what they looked for in teams and how the evaluated everyone.  I also got to see how the chose who got which awards and what attitudes and actions they pay particular attention to throughout the day.  It also made me realize how fortunate we were to be awarded so many of these awards during our first FLL season in 8th grade.

At the end of the day, my brother's team was able to advance onto the State competition and my old team, RoboElite, won the Champion's Award, the highest award, and also continued onto the State competition.

My old team, RoboElite, with new members
My brother's team, the Meow Mixers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Exemption

Rewriting the Code Fellowship 2019

24.6.13